Sunday, October 19, 2008

WIndows Vista: Not So Bad

I needed to buy a new PC, and I found a pretty good deal on a Dell Optiplex 330 (dual core, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD). I decided to take a risk and get Windows Vista (Business), even though I read all kinds of horror stories about how unstable, slow, annoying, buggy it is.

Here is my experience so far (after using it for a few hours)

Good:
  • UI is nice. Lots of eye candy, Aero interface is a bit blingy but effective. Decently organized. Lots of options for different views.
  • Boot time is OK for me (my old XP machine took about 45 seconds to boot up, the new one takes about 30)
  • Ubiquitous search boxes are neat.
  • Sidebar is neat.
  • Lots of built in goodies like scan/fax, system backup.

Bad:
  • The User Account Control thing, the box that comes up and asks you "are you sure" for every little thing is annoying. I appreciate the added security, but I am tempted to turn it off.
  • If I ran Windows XP on this machine, I bet it would boot in like 20s.

I also heard that much of my old software would not work in Vista. Not true, so far all this stuff seems to be working fine:

  • WordPerfect Office 12 SP1 (but SP2 won't install!) I may break down and upgrade to the latest WP Office anyway.
  • Microsoft Office XP
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 (with patch)
  • FireFox 3.0
  • Mozilla Thunderbird
  • Ad-Aware
  • Antivir Free Antivirus
  • Quicken 2007 (with patch)
  • Roxio Media Creator 10
  • Apple iTunes
Software that won't work:
  • Epson Smart Panel (don't care, Vista has nice built-in scanning functions anyway)
  • WP 12 SP2 won't install.
Considering how blazing fast the new machine is compared to my old Dell 3000 (P4), and that it cost all of about $500, I'm very pleased.

0 comments:

Post a Comment